How to Pray with Art
Father Gilroy, a Jesuit Priest and artist, offers six steps to help you begin praying with art:
- QUIET: Stop for a moment, breathe and relax. Perhaps recite a formal prayer.
- INTENTION: What am I grateful for? What do I want right now?
- ATTENTION: Look over the entire image. Is there a figure, shape, color, texture or word that calls your attention?
- NOTICE: What feelings, thoughts, or desires do you notice? What could they reveal about God and your life?
- RESPOND: Speak to God as you would one friend to another.
- CLOSE: Offer a prayer or gesture as a way to end the experience.
—Excerpted from PrayerWindows.com